There has been a committee formed to work on changing the name of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to something that appropriately fits this illness. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome really underplays the true nature of the illness and does not do justice to what we actually go through daily.
Some of the names CFIDS sufferers are suggesting at ImmuneSupport.com are:
Myalgic Immunodysfunction Encephalomyelitis (MIDE)
- Chronic Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CIDS) – the problem with this is that it makes you think of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) – this is what CFIDS is called in the United Kingdom.
- Multisystom Autonomic Dysfunction – (MFD)
- Nightingale’s Disease (after Florence Nightingale, who CFS Awareness Day is named.)
- Neurondocrine & Immune Dysfunction(NID)
- Immune Dysfunction Disease (IDD)
Some concerns among CFIDS sufferers:
- They would like the word “syndrome” taken out since CFIDS is a disease.
- Many wish to have the words “chronic” and anything that has a “tired” meaning taken out.
Personally I feel that since fatigue is a major symptom, the title needs to reflect that but the name needs to include more than just fatigue.
If you have a name, or would like to put in your 2 cents for one, you can go to Immunesupport.com and read up on the thread!
Leave a Reply