Please welcome Heather Johnson as the guest blogger for Fighting Fatigue this week. You can read Heather’s byline at the bottom of this post.
Conservative estimates indicate that almost 10 million are stricken with fibromyalgia (FMS). The majority of people with FMS are women and the usual age when people develop the disease is between 30 and 35. It typically arises when a serious injury is coupled with severe emotional stress. The pain associated with FMS can be so serious that it can leave those suffering unable to work or maintain their daily activities.Here are five tips for coping with FMS:
1. Relax. This sounds so easy and you probably hear it from people all the time. People suffering from fibromyalgia are usually go-getters and have intense schedules. As difficult as it may be for these people to change their lifestyles, its vital that you switch to part-time or even quit your job altogether if possible. You need to learn to say no to some responsibilities you used to jump at.
2. Figure out a sleep pattern. Your fibromyalgia symptoms will be greatly relieved. This is obviously a difficult hurdle to clear but if you can find the right medication especially the kind that leaves no hangover youll be able to tackle each day with a clearer head. Melatonin is a helpful drug that is proven to leave no hangover. Restorative sleep is crucial to knocking down the walls of depression that you feel closing in on you.
3. Shed some light on your day. If youre at home each day then open your blinds and curtains to allow light into your home. If youre holed up in an office all day then you should go outside for periodic breaks in the fresh air. Exposure to light can literally alleviate symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.
4. Stay cool. Chiropractors recommend that you place a cold pack on the back of your neck while lying down. This has a calming effect and slows down your thoughts. Make sure that if you keep your cold pack in the freezer that you wrap it in a towel before putting it on your skin to avoid harming your skin.
5. Exercise is vital. As much as you may think you want to lie around and be lazy, its crucial that you exercise at least four times a week. While its not likely youll be able to do too much, its still a good idea to move around and stretch out as much as you can as this will help to detoxify your cells.