After being sick for almost 20 years, I feel some days as though I have heard every rude and ignorant remark by people that can possibly be made. We started a list on my forum a while back to list the Rude Things People Say to us CFS, Fibromyalgia, IC Disease and other chronically ill patients.
I thought we could all start a list here too and as you comment, I will add your responses to the list I have started. Here is what we came up with on my Fighting Fatigue Forum:
– “I’m tired too but I have learned how to push myself”.
– “If it were me, I wouldn’t be lying in bed all day like you do – I would be working regardless”.
– “You should not be parked in a handicapped stall. That should be saved for someone who is really sick.”
– “You can’t possibly feel as bad as I do.”
– “You don’t look sick.”
– “You can’t be that sick if you were able to do ___________________ yesterday.”
– “You need cognitive rehabilitation.”
– “Every time you start feeling tired or sick, just picture a big red stop sign in your mind. Once the thoughts stop, your symptoms should stop too.”
– “Must be nice to get to sleep in every morning and only work part time.”
– “You need to just pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get on with it.”
– “Yeah, my cousin had CFS. She was always out to get attention.”
– “Maybe if you had more faith then God would heal you.”
– “If you would go to church every Sunday maybe you wouldn’t be sick.”
– “What could you possibly know about being tired? You don’t even work!”
– “It must be nice to live off the government and not have any responsibility.”
– “So and so is a lot sicker than you and he/she still manages to work. Why can’t you?”
What have people said to you? (These are from comments below):
– “But it’s only for a couple of hours.”
– Youre just too emotional.”
– Move around and blow the stink off you. Youll feel better.”