Harry Preuas, M.D. reports in a new book, The Natural Fat Loss Pharmacy, that some fat-busting supplements do really work. As a Georgetown University Medical Center researcher, Harry says that the following may help you lose weight and fat and keep it off.
- EGCG is an antioxidant in green tea. It increases metabolism to burn calories, kills fat cells and blocks formation of new ones. Take a green tea extract pill before meals for a total daily dose of 270 mg to 325 mg.
- CLA is conjugated linoleic acid. It can melt body fat and build muscle without calorie counting or exercising. Take 1.7g twice a day of Tonalin CLA.
- HCA is hydroxycitric acid derived from a tropical fruit. It can quadruple weight loss in an eight-week moderate diet. Take 1,500 mg three times a day, 30 minutes before meals. The brand Preuss tested is Super CitriMax and it is available from Now Foods.
- Chromium targets the loss of fat instead of muscle. For weight loss, take 200 mcg, three times a day, of chromium bound to niacin (ChromeMate), or chromium picolinate or histidinate; for maintenance, take 200 mcg a day.
- Starch blockers cut the absorption of carbs. Take CarbEast or brands with thie ingredient Phase 2. Follow label directions.
Please check with your physician before beginning any new supplements.